Mexico’s National Fund for Tourism Development (Fonatur) has received two bids for rolling stock tender for the Tren Maya project. The international tender also included the supply and installation of the communications system, workshop and maintenance facilities’ construction.
The teams are:
- The consortium of CAF México and Rubau México; and
- The consortium comprising Bombardier Transportation México, Alstom Transport México, Gami Ingeniería e Instalaciones, Construcción Urales and Construcciones Urales Procesos Industriales.
The CAF – Rubau consortium submitted an offer of Pesos 37.45 billion (USD 1.89 billion). The other consortium’s bid had a value of Pesos 36.56 billion (USD 1.84 billion).
Following the evaluation of each of the proposal, Fonatur will announce the winner on May 26, 2021. The tender included four components. The first one covers the acquisition, testing and commissioning of 42 trains for the Tren Maya. The other one includes the supply of the equipment, testing and commissioning of railway systems necessary for the operation of the Mayan Train, as well as the design, construction and commissioning of infrastructure for its equipment such as central and zonal checkpoints.
The other two components of the tender cover the design, construction and supply of the equipment of maintenance workshops and depots necessary for the protection and conservation of trains. It also includes the provision of an after-sales service related to the conservation and optimal operation of the equipment. Additionally, this service will include the know-how transfer.
The Tren Maya project involves the improvement of the rail transport and connections comprising a 1,500 km intercity rail system crossing the Mexican states of Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The railway connection will link Palenque and the tourist resort of Cancún on the Caribbean coast. The project has been officially launched in 2018 and has an estimated value of USD 7.4 billion.
The project is split into seven sections.
- Palenque – Escárcega (228 km);
- Escárcega – Calkiní (235 km);
- Calkiní – Izamal (172 km);
- Izamal – Cancún (257 km);
- Cancún – Playa del Carmen (49.8 km);
- Playa del Carmen – Tulum (60.3 km);
- Bacalar – Escárcega (287 km).