The bids submitted for the tender of over EUR 600 million were opened on 26 April. Apata – Cata subsection, part of Brasov – Sighisoara rail section, is located on the TEN-T 22 priority Axis (Rhine-Danube Corridor – northern branch) Nürnberg-Prague-Vienna-Budapest-Curtici-Simeria-Brasov-Bucharest-Constanta and the modernisation of this section contributes to rail infrastructure development by increasing the traffic speed to 160 km/h for passenger trains and to 120 km/h for freight trains.
Thus, six consortia are now competing for the modernisation of this railway subsection:
– Rail Works Consortium
– Pizzarotti Spa, Pizzarotti SA, IC Içtaș Inșaat Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ș Consortium
– FCC Construcction S.A., Astaldi S.p.A., Activ Group Management SRL Consortium
– SAIPEM S.P.A. , Dogus Insaat ve Ticaret AS Consortium
– Strabag AG- Strabag SRL Consortium
– Alsim Alarko Sanayi Tesisleri ve Ticaret A.Ș. – Makiol Inșaat Sanayi Turizm ve Ticaret A.Ș. Consortium.
The total estimated value of the contract is RON 2.86 billion, VAT free (EUR 615.7 million), the financing source being ensured by the European Commission through the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF), 81.74%, and a 18.26% co-financing from the State Budget.
Over the next period, the evaluation commission will analyse the qualification documents, as well as the technical and financial proposals.