Kenya inaugurated Phase 2A of its SGR

Kenya’s President, Uhuru Kenyatta, has officially opened the Phase 2A of the Standard Gauge Railway, inaugurating the first passenger train service at Nairobi Terminus. The President has launched each station on the route, from Nairobi to Suswa.
The Nairobi – Naivasha line has a length of 120.5 km, with 29 bridges and three tunnels totaling 7.15 km. The line is served by 12 stations, of which 4 are interchange stations locates at Ongata Rongai, Ngong, Maai Mahiu and Suswa and one station is situated in Nachu.
The line ensures passenger traffic as well as freight services which will benefit an inland container facility at Naivasha, where the President has launched the construction works. From this terminal, the cargos would be transported to Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan.
The USD 1.5 billion project was performed by China Communications Construction Company (CCCC).
The line would eventually link the port of Mombasa to Uganda.
In 2017, the first phase of Kenya’s SGR project was opened, linking Nairobi to Mombasa through a 472-km railway line. The project was also implemented by China. The USD 3.16 billion (KES 327 billion) project was 90% funded by China’s Exim Bank and the government covered the remaining 10% of the costs.


Share on:
Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail