CargoBeamer adds a new route in Germany

Kaldenkirchen – Rostock route

CargoBeamer is expanding its network adding the Kaldenkirchen – Rostock route to its portfolio as the first line operating exclusively in Germany. On a total of six roundtrips per week, CargoBeamer enables the transport of craneable and non-craneable semi-trailers as well as P400, refrigerated, silo, and container units by train.

The line runs between the rail terminal in Kaldenkirchen and the port of Rostock, from which there are connections by ferry to various locations in Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, and Sweden, with semi-trailers also transported without the accompaniment of a driver or tractor unit. In a southerly direction, CargoBeamer offers gateway connections via Kaldenkirchen to Perpignan in southern France and Domodossola in northern Italy.

The average transit time on the route between Kaldenkirchen and Rostock route is 18 hours and per transport unit, 64% of CO2 emissions are saved compared to road transport, with the remaining 36% being compensated by CO2 certificates, enabling CargoBeamer to operate the line entirely carbon neutral. HSL Logistik GmbH serves as the traction partner.

The axis linking Iberian Peninsula and Scandinavia via Central Europe will provide a new opportunity to shift road transport towards railways leading to the reduction of CO2 emissions, eliminating the impact on the environment.

“The addition of Kaldenkirchen – Rostock route is the first step in our plans to expand CargoBeamers network with numerous new lines by the end of 2023. With unaccompanied long-distance transport from the Baltic Sea via western Germany to Italy or the French-Spanish border, we are creating a new, attractive offer for our customers,” Boris Timm, Chief Operating Officer of CargoBeamer said.

Recently, CargoBeamer completed a pilot train test between Marseille and Calais with unaccompanied transport of craneable and non-craneable semi-trailers. This service is also an important step to reduce carbon emissions by around 30.8 tonnes compared to road transport.


Share on: