The Government of Australia has announced that the 2021-2022 budget includes AUD 15.2 billion (USD 11.85 billion) for infrastructure projects over the next ten years supporting over 30,000 jobs.
The commitment will help the implementation of road, rail, and community infrastructure projects across Australia.
The investment comprises AUD 13.2 billion for major infrastructure projects and AUD 2 billion for local projects included under the Road Safety Programme, and the Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Programme.
The financing is in addition to the Government’s significant existing investment in projects that will define the success of local communities for years to come, including the Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport, due to open in 2026, Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport and the Melbourne Airport Rail Link.
More than 220 major Australian Government funded projects are currently under construction. These projects are expected to support around 100,000 jobs during their construction lives.
With this this budget, the Australian Government has provided AUD 170 billion funding for the infrastructure since 2013.
This funding will support delivering a 10-year AUD 110 billion (USD 85.74 billion) infrastructure investment pipeline and investing in the future.
Infrastructure budget by state:
- Queensland: AUD1.6 billion for projects, including an additional* AUD 464.4 million;
- Northern Territory: AUD 323.9 million for projects, including an additional* 77.1 million;
- Western Australia: AUD 1.3 billion for projects, including an additional* AUD 288.1 million;
- New South Wales: AUD 3.3 billion for projects, including an additional* AUD 548.5 million;
- Australian Capital Territory: AUD 167.3 million including an additional* AUD 18.9 million;
- South Australia: AUD 3.2 billion including an additional* AUD 173.9 million;
- Victoria: AUD 3 billion for including an additional* AUD 373.5 million;
- Tasmania: AUD 322.6 million including an additional* AUD 54.6 million;
*the additional funding is allotted for road safety and community infrastructure projects.