New contract signed for Verona-Padua HSR

Verona-Padua high-speed railwayRete Ferroviaria Italiana, part of the FS Italiane, and Iricav Due consortium signed five months ahead of time a EUR 1.77 billion contract to start the works on the second and final construction lot of the Verona-Bivio Vicenza section on the Verona-Padua high-speed railway.

Iricav Due consortium consisting of Webuild, Astaldi, Hitachi Rail STS, Lamaro Appalti and Fintecna. Webuild, which owns 83 per cent of Iricav Due consortium and Hitachi Rail the remaining 17 per cent, also signed an agreement for the final design of the crossing of Vicenza, valued at approximately EUR 720 million and belonging to the second functional lot.

The Vicenza junction immediately follows the railway section that constitutes the natural continuation in the east direction of the line and leads to the heart of the Vicenza capital. The completion of the final designs is scheduled for September 10, 2021.

The acceleration of the work on the Verona – Vicenza section was made possible by government measures related to the Italy’s National Recovery and Resilience (PNRR).

The completion date is set for December 31, 2026.

The first functional lot of the railway between Verona and Bivio di Vicenza is valued at about EUR 2.5 billion, part of a combined investment of more than EUR 2.7 billion by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana of Gruppo FS Italiane. The section will run for 44.2 km across 13 municipalities.

The second functional lot that concerns the crossing of Vicenza will be through the municipalities of Altavilla Vicentina, Creazzo, Sovizzo, Torri di Quartesolo and Vicenza. A new stop is planned at Fiera, while work will be done on the main station and the historic line. Work will also be done on the new TPL line of electric buses from east to west for 12 km and on improving traffic to the station from west to east.

In August 2020, RFI and the Iricav Due consortium signed a EUR 2.5 billion contract for the construction of the section between Verona and Bivio di Vicenza.

The investment being made on the entire length of the Verona-Padua high-speed railway is estimated to be EUR 4.8 billion. By quadrupling the existing railway, the line represents an important link across the country’s northeast. It will promote more sustainable mobility in a key area for the transport of goods arriving from the north and east, reducing the impact on the environment and problems related to road traffic.

The project, part of the high-speed/high-capacity railway between Milan and Venice, will belong to the Mediterranean Corridor that will link Spain and Ukraine, supporting the traffic between Europe and Asia. In Europe, meanwhile, it will handle traffic between the southern and eastern regions. With the addition of the line between Milan and Venice to the national network, 75 per cent of the Italian population will have access to high-speed rail service.


Share on:
Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail