Metrorex and JICA negotiate the financing of Bucharest Metro Line 6 extension

Bucharest metro transport operator, Metrorex, and the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will officially launch negotiation talks for the extension of Bucharest Metro Line 6 up to Henri Coandă Airport.

Bucharest Metro Line 6

“The documentation has been prepared and we have a meeting with JICA. We will advance the possibility of using 85% of the loan for the second section and the remainder 15% for the first section. We will be able to launch the tender in July and the finalisation deadline is 48 months. If there are no appeals, works should be completed at the end of 2023”, declared Dumitru Șodolescu, General Manager Metrorex.

In 2010, Traian Băsescu, the Romanian President at that time, signed a loan agreement with JICA in Tokyo, for the development of Bucharest Metro Line 6 connecting the capital of Romania to Henri Coandă Otopeni Airport. The loan, worth around EUR 320 million was dedicated to the design and, partially, to the construction of this metro line. However, nine years passed since the contracting of the Japanese loan and only now the Romanian authorities are actually taking concrete steps to spend this money since the European Commission has only granted a non-reimbursable financing for the first section of Line 6, 1 Mai – Tokyo.


Share on:
Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail